In Ancient Times...

It's that time of the year for Manhattanhenge. Here's a 2 min. overview by Neil deGrasse Tyson. You've got to love his exuberance but dude, lose the vest.



In the notification I received about this event Tyson also touched upon this:
While we are on the subject, when viewed from all latitudes north of the Tropic of Cancer (23.5 degrees north latitude), the Sun always rises at an angle up and to the right, and sets and an angle down and to the right. That's how you can spot a faked sunrise in a movie: it moves up and to the left. Filmmakers are not typically awake in the morning hours to film an actual sunrise, so they film a sunset
instead, and then time-reverse it, thinking nobody will notice.
Has anyone spotted a faked sunrise in a movie? I can't remember the last movie I saw that featured one. A sunrise, that is. Now I'll be on the lookout. Move over exploding starfish...I now need to make room for this tidbit of information. Just park it right next to my phone number I had growing up.

0 comments: